Bay State Council of the Blind Bylaws
As Adopted by the General Membership 5/2/1992
Bylaw 1: Dues
- A. Dues for members-at-large shall be fifteen (15) dollars annually and must be paid to the treasurer no later than March 1st of each year in order that these members (except junior members) shall have the right to vote. Dues for junior members shall be five (5) dollars.
- B. Dues for life members of BSCB shall be two hundred and fifty (250) dollars paid on a one-time basis.
- C. Per capita dues in the amount of nine (9) dollars for each individual member of a chapter except any BSCB life member must be paid to the treasurer, accompanied by a complete list of names and addresses and any other information requested by the treasurer no later than March 1st of each year. When a member belongs to a regional chapter and a special-interest chapter, only the regional chapter shall forward per capita dues in the above amount to the BSCB treasurer. Chapters are free to set dues for their members in such amount above that required for BSCB membership as they deem fit.
- D. At any convention where voting occurs, all members entitled to vote shall be issued a badge signifying this right. The badge shall be prominently displayed during all votes.
- E. On or before January 1st, the treasurer shall notify all chapters and members-at-large in writing of the forthcoming deadline for receipt of annual dues and lists. This notice will include a request for names, addresses and other information as requested by the treasurer.
Bylaw 2: Standing Committees
- A. The president shall appoint a statewide membership chairperson. Each chapter shall select a representative to serve on the membership committee.
- B. The president shall appoint ninety (90) days prior to each annual convention a chairperson and at least three (3) additional members as a resolutions committee. This committee shall receive and prepare resolutions to be considered by the membership. All resolutions must be reported to the convention, with or without a committee recommendation. Resolutions shall be submitted to the Resolutions Committee not less than fifteen (15) days before the date of the annual convention. Proposed resolutions shall be read to the assembled convention two (2) times before final action is taken. A resolution which does not meet the above submission criteria may still be considered by the convention, if two-thirds of the members present and voting at the first reading vote to do so.
- C. The president shall appoint a chairperson of the nominating committee, no later than one hundred and twenty (120) days before the date of the annual convention. Each chapter shall select a representative to serve on the committee no later than ninety (90) days prior to the convention. No later than ninety (90) days prior to the convention, a member-at-large shall be appointed to the nominating committee. In even-numbered years, the member-at-large shall be appointed by the directors; in odd-numbered years, the member-at-large shall be appointed by the officers. The chair of the committee shall not vote unless there is a tie. No member of the nominating committee may appear on the nominating committee slate. All meetings of the nominating committee shall be closed to non-committee members.
- D. The president shall appoint a legislative representative, who shall act as the chairperson of the legislative committee. The president shall also appoint at least three (3) additional members to serve on the committee. The legislative representative shall be a non-voting member of the Board of Directors unless currently serving on the board.
- E. The president shall appoint the editor of the newsletter with board confirmation, and the editor shall be a non-voting member of the Board of Directors unless currently serving on the board.
- F. The president shall be a non-voting member of all committees except the nominating committee.